"One Love......One Heart"

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Candlelight Vigils....

The day Ryan died, Piner High School held a candlelight vigil in the parking lot.  There must have been 200 kids there with candles.  They shared stories, memories, nicknames given to them by Ryan, and above all, they shared about Ryan's heart.  I heard stories of Ryan reaching out to kids hurting, kids who were new to the school, and kids he had never met before.  These kids talked about my boy for 90 minutes!  In the crowd were people from all walks of life.  Ryan did not care about grades, the crowd someone hung out in, race, or gender.  He saw into each person's heart and was friends with everyone.  All you had to do was look into the crowd of people and you instantly knew what kind of heart Ryan had.  The same thing held true Friday night, when they had a candlelight vigil for Ryan at Middletown High School.  About 100 kids, again very diverse in population.  He loved WITHOUT passing judgement on others....I know so many adults who could learn an important lesson from Ryan!   Ryan loved others the way we are told to love....the way we are called to love.   A 16 year old who walked around telling everyone "One Love."  He believed in God, in peace, in brotherhood, in union, in love, and in each person's heart.  I knew my baby had a good and loving heart, I just didn't know he was touching so many with his love. 

1 comment:

  1. Glenda,
    My names Iris Mowforth and I was one of many that joined the candle lighting at Piner High, to celebrate your amazing son.
    My friend and I were on our way to the lighting, just laughing and telling stories of Ryan, not realizing what we were about to experience. When we arrived, I saw my dearest friends who approached me with tears and open arms. As the night went on, we all heard familiar stories of Ryan and his open heart to anyone who walked passed him. Looking over the sea of people and the lighting of the candles, I took a deep breath and realized that Ryan was watching all of us talk about what an amazing man he was. He probably had that gorgeous, big smile on his face and laughed like he'd never laughed before. After the lighting and the final hugs, the car ride home was completely different. We didn't speak. No music on the radio. No crying. Just silence.
    I am deeply proud to say that I was a friend of your sons. He is an inspirational man and you couldn't have done any better as a mother. Ryan will ALWAYS be in my heart. Not one day goes by that I don't think of him. One Love.
    <3 Love, Iris.

    ReplyDelete