"One Love......One Heart"

Monday, May 21, 2012

The Pain of My Children...

     The time as moved forward, whether we wanted it to or not.  Everyone wears a smile...a mask.  Is it to put on a front for others, or is it to put on a front for ourselves? 
     I have been fairly open with my own journey through this darkness.  Although in all honesty, I haven't even allowed myself to go to that lonely, painful place for more then seconds at a time.  It is too hard, too sad, too dark, too empty....too much.  I have tried to help my kids as much as I can.  But even with me, they wear their masks.  I suppose I wear it with them as well.   Perhaps we're all too afraid to show each other how we really feel?  Afraid we will bring each other into that place where none of us are ready to go?  Little by little they share their tears...I share mine.  In watching my kids move forward so bravely, yet suffer so silently,  I am learning that we have to go to that place we are so afraid of.  Even if it's a little bit at a time.  We have no choice...the masks are beginning to tear as the reality of what is takes over.
     Loss of focus, loss of dreams, loss of passions, loss of closeness with people...anger, sadness, physical illnesses, constant fear with every breath taken.  This is what has become of my children.  These are my children...and I love them.  I sadly know the greatest pain a mother could endure is the loss of her child.  I believe the second is to watch her children suffer.  I know my own mom has carried that pain as she witnessed my heart break, and I am witnessing that very pain in my own children.  At times it feels overwhelming, yet somehow I find the strength to be there for, and with them.  I ask God to help me....and I keep trying.
     They have all had their worlds turned upside down.  They have had their very hearts broken apart.  Their dreams of the future ripped into a million pieces.  They have tried to move on, and have done so as well as could be expected.  They have shown great courage, strength, and grace.  But they are wounded, traumatized, and forever changed.  Like myself, they are NOT the same people they were before they lost their brother.  Over the past few months, as their masks have worn thin, I have seen glimpses of the deep pain they carry still....confusion of not knowing how to get through the next day, sometimes not even caring if they do, the painful reality that their brother is really gone, the longing for what could have been and should have been, the anger of it all...which no doubt is in reality the uspeakable sadness they carry, the constant fear of dying...or losing me,  which mainfests itself relentlessly, and the need to talk about the pain, yet fear of going into that darkness.
     My children are in pain....anyone close enough to them sees what they try so hard not to show.  Those are the friends I am so grateful they have.  I will continue to do all I can to help them, but I know I can not make it better.  That is hard, but it is the truth.  They are all so very close, and one of them now is missing.  They all feel the loss with great intensity and sadness.  I just pray God holds them all, while He leads me.  The Pain of My Children...it's unimaginable.

5 comments:

  1. I lost my only child, a son, Bobby, on December 12th, 2009. I struggle with this everyday, every minute, and you do not get over it and my heart is so broken. I know God is with me and without His comfort, I would not be here. It was an infection that started in his foot. He was 31. He did not know that it was an infection and I live 3 hours from him and I did not know either. I had just seen him a month and a half before this started so I was not concerned of something serious and there were no signs at first and he told me he thought it was a tendon. After a couple of weeks he called and said he thought he needed to go to hospital and was glad because I had been telling him to go get it checked out. I told him I would be on my way. That was on December 10th. They did surgery to drain the infection, I was told it was a flesh eating infection. He came out of surgery ok but it was more serious than they thought he was taken to UAMS in Little Rock, AR on the 11th we arrived at 10pm and at 15 minutes after midnight he was gone. I do not even know how I functioned after that. I knew things had to be done and I did not live with his father any more not for many years but he had to be told. It is now 2 and a half years later and nothing is better. I have good days but even on my good days it is always there in the background. He was my life we did a lot of things together. We lived for 20 years together just him and I. My parents had both died and he was all I had. Now I still want to call him and say goodnight. I still want to hear his voice so bad. My family is wonderful. I have 3 great brothers but it not the same. I smile, I even laugh, and I put on my "mask" as you do but on the inside I am crying and I am strong for others but I hate to be alone for a very long period of time because sometimes the silence is more than I can take. I pray all the time and I ask why. I know God has a plan but even that does not take away the pain of the loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kathy, I am so very sorry. My heart aches for you and I completely understand your words. Nothing takes away the pain of the loss...after all, it's your baby. I am so very sorry. I will pray for you. If you ever want to talk, you know how to find me. Be good to yourself...be gentle and easy. Your son would want that.

      Delete
  2. I just lost my son 5 days ago. I don't know what to do. I am lost. every one tells me that I have two more children to live for and I know that but The hurt is so deep. I am just looking for answers. God please please help help us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never get over the pain of losing a child and I know friends try to be helpful by saying you have other children to live for but your heart is forever broken and part of us longs for the day god calls us home so we can be with them agan yes I understand your pain I lost my only son at the age of 31 ,I miss and cry for him everyday GOD BLESS ALL OF THE PARENTS who need to feel Gods love an grace at the most horrible time of their lives you never get over the loss of your child just keep pitting one foot in front of the other

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, heart-felt book written by you, Glenda! Our daughter, Brooke, got it for me for Christmas. We lost our only (younger of 2 children) son May 2, 2007. Life has never been the same. I too, have read SO many books regarding death and heaven. I still find myself praying for comfort daily...

    ReplyDelete